Our teeth are much more important to us than many of us realize, and often it isn’t until we don’t have them anymore do we realize how much we rely on them day to day. Teeth enable us to bite, chew and eat our food. We also need them to help us form sounds and help us speak clearly. Unfortunately, tooth loss is a very common problem, and in most instances, teeth are extracted or fall out due to severe damage or decay. If this happens, the physical and psychological effects can be immense. Not only will you be unable to use your teeth in the way that are you are used to, but you may feel self-conscious, embarrassed or even ashamed about the appearance of your teeth. Fortunately, there are solutions available that can replace missing teeth. One of the most effective for replacing a partial or full arch of missing teeth is dentures.
Dentures are removable false teeth that are placed over the top of your gums in order to restore the function and appearance of your smile. In doing so, they also eliminate potential problems caused by gaps.
Dentures are usually made from acrylic, nylon or metal and their design differs slightly depending on whether the denture is for the upper or lower arch. Dentures for the lower arch are in a horseshoe-shaped mold that sits over the gums. However, dentures for the upper arch are also attached to a plate that sits across the roof of the mouth, giving the denture greater stability. Prosthetic teeth are custom-designed specifically for your mouth as well and are made in the shape, size, and color needed to closely mimic your natural teeth and make your smile look healthy and real.
Dentures are also available in full and partial varieties. Full dentures are attached to the teeth using a special adhesive that holds them in place. However, partial dentures also tend to be attached to the existing teeth using small brackets that are hidden on the reverse side.
Dentures remain one of the most popular and effective solutions for extensive tooth loss. Some of the reasons for this include:
- Restoration of dental function including enabling you to eat the foods that you would like to and that might otherwise be impossible with missing teeth (think particularly tough or chewy foods!).
- Restoring your ability to form letter sounds properly, meaning that your speech isn’t compromised.
- Dentures prevent your existing teeth from moving to take advantage of the space, preventing further problems from occurring.
- Modern dentures are extremely comfortable, and many people forget that they are wearing them during the day.
- Dentures are fairly easy to clean. Simply pop them out to give them a brush with your usual toothbrush and toothpaste, then place them into a glass of water with a cleansing tablet overnight.
- Dentures look just like regular teeth, restoring your confidence in your smile and enabling you to take this self-assurance into every aspect of your life.
If you have missing teeth and are considering dentures to restore the function and beauty of your smile, please contact our dentistry practice in Chelsea, AL today by calling 205-224-0040.